Home

Enquiries

Opening times

The rooms

Garden and Grounds

 

Inner vaulted room below circular turret (courtyard), showing shouldered doorways typical of the period 1290-1320. Vaulting probably a later 15th century insertion.

This is the oldest part of the house, built about 1300 by John Knyvett. The doorway which communicated with the Great Hall has been blocked, but on the west side are two others with shouldered heads (typical of the period). One of these opened into the room below the Solar, and the other to the foot of the stair, which was the only access to the Solar itself. The vaulting was probably inserted in the 15th century, and in the 18th century the stair was replaced by a wooden one.

Image Crown Copyright