Home

Enquiries

Opening times

The rooms

Garden and Grounds

 

Built in 1320 by Richard Knyvett, an addition to his father's house of 1300. In medieval times the low arch was the only entrance from the house to the crypt. In 1909 a 14th century window was opened out, and another was removed from the south wall to the East bay. The present doorway was made, the undercroft then becoming the entrance hall of today.

 

The 4 corbel stone faces dating from 1320-50, and very likely by the same hand as the corbel stones in the tower in St Mary's church (Southwick Church).
The central boss, a double headed green man, dating from 1320-50.

Colour image by Sarah Brookman Photography. Black & White photographs Crown Copyright.